The BIG Greater Kansas City Chapter is committed to empowering the youth of tomorrow. The annual scholarships being awarded to promising students in the Greater Kansas City area is just one initiative by the chapter to give back to the community and support future leaders. The purpose of the scholarships is to recognize outstanding achievement in areas of academics, community service, and leadership. In addition, the applicants are evaluated on their goals, character, and financial need.
Applicants will be judged on the following:
- Applicants must have maintained a 2.5 or better GPA on a 4.0 scale in high school.
- Applicants must have applied to or be enrolled at an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Applicants must submit a printed copy of his/her latest transcript.
- Involvement in civic, social or volunteer activities
- Education and/or work experience
- Financial need
- Evidence of leadership and character
- Applications should be mailed to Blacks In Government, Scholarship Committee, P.O. Box 15251, Kansas City, MO 64106.
- Applications must be received or postmarked by mid-January of each calendar year. Consult the web site in December of each year for the precise January deadline.
- The scholarship committee will evaluate the applications and interviews will be conducted for finalists.
- The Scholarships will be presented at the annual Greater Kansas City Chapter Awards Luncheon held each February.
- Funds will be sent directly to the institution to be applied toward the cost of tuition and/or books.
To apply, click here
For additional information, contact Wesley G. Buckner, Scholarship Committee at 913-758-6960.